Umgeni Water strives for a consistently high standard in all activities, and this is reflected in the numerous awards won by the company over time:
Some of the awards and accolades Umgeni Water have received are:
- Best Company in the Public Sector. This was accomplished in the respected Deloitte Best Company to Work for survey October 2005.
- Most Improved Company, also clinched in the Deloitte survey.
- Umgeni Water ranks 24th among South Africa's top 120 companies.
- The organisation's former Chief Executive Officer, Gugu Moloi, was selected Top Personality: Businesswoman in the Absa Impumelelo awards October 2005.
- 23 September 2004 - Golden Arrow Award - received for Umgeni Water's outstanding contribution to social upliftment, international and local investment opportunities in the water and gas sector for the KwaZulu Natal province.
- 10 August 2004 - The Top Women in Business and Government award - received for the Top 5 Gender Empowered Companies during 2004.
- May 2004 - The Platinum Noscar award in the NOSA 2004 audit - received for one of its largest waterworks, Midmar based on its Integrated Safety, Health and Environmental Standard management system. Midmar waterworks is the first water site to attain a Platinum Noscar internationally.
- Other awards include those for the most progressive Company, for producing the Best Water Education Material, in Public Relations for the Best Water conservation Programme, for Best Non-Listed Company and Best Water Company in South Africa, for Excellence In Civil Engineering; and for the best Environmental Report (World Wide Fund for nature - winner on three occasions, and runner-up on two occasions):
- Umgeni Water won the Golden Arrow Award in 2006 and 2007, for contributing towards the KwaZulu Natal economy.