Umgeni Water’s corporate environmental goal is to conserve scarce natural resources and reduce environmental impacts in all its operations and therefore has relevant strategies in place in support of this.
Umgeni Water reviewed its SHEQ policy, evolving it into a Sustainability Policy that has better facilitate integration of the environmental, social and economic elements of its businesses. In embracing environmental sustainability, the organisation’s key strategies include:
- Assessing and reducing effects of activities throughout the lifecycle of products and services, embracing ecological, social and economic interdependence.
- Ensuring optimum awareness of environmental issues amongst employees, customers, contractors, suppliers and other stakeholders.
- Promoting conservation of scarce natural resources and reducing stress on environmental systems.
- Promoting pollution prevention and reduction, reuse and recycling of waste.
- Promoting clean technologies and seeking eco-friendly alternatives.
- Promoting biodiversity conservation.
- Contributing toward achievement of the Millennium Development Goals.
- Supporting co-operative environmental governance to maximise environmental benefits in services and operations and enhancing corporate citizenship.
- Supporting integrated water resources management objectives to secure sustainable water supply for our customers.
- Monitoring and mitigating environmental impacts.
- Regularly monitoring, auditing and reporting performance against targets.