Umgeni Water uses its external whistle-blowing hotline service managed by an external service provider as a means of fraud detection and as a means of encouraging an ethical culture. This 24 hour – 365-day facility provides an anonymous and confidential communication channel for all stakeholders (employee’s, management, suppliers and customers) to report suspicions of fraud or otherwise unethical conduct without fear of recrimination
All hotline calls are investigated and appropriately followed through using a hotline protocol which ensures that all calls received are dealt with in a transparent and consistent manner. Trends and information of the hotline calls are further used to improve internal controls. Umgeni Water endeavours to create and maintain awareness of this facility and ensures that the phone number is adequately advertised by means of posters, intranet, staff information and induction sessions, supplier forums as well as and other means deemed effective and appropriate.
How to make use of Tip-offs Anonymous?
- A unique 0800 FreeCall telephone number.
- A unique e-mail address Umgeniwater@tip-offs.com.
- Generic FreePost address and FreeCall facsimile facility.
- Website for the secure reporting of tip-offs and the sharing of an organisation’s code of ethics, as well as policies and procedures.
- Expert guidance and assistance in communicating the service and an organisation’s contact details to stakeholders by way of various promotional and advertising media.
- Experienced operators who respond to calls in a number of languages at a secure
contact centre equipped with state of the art equipment – 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Dedicated response to callers to probe for organisation specific facts such as dates, times, locations, people, amounts involved and any witnesses.
- Trained report analysts who analyse and assess reports for urgency and importance.
- Written tip-off reports forwarded to a designated senior executive of the organisation.
- Regular reporting of call activity and summary of tip-off reports generated.